Seven in Heaven 5/31-6/3
Published: Thursday, May 31, 2012
Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012 16:08
1. Do Division Street Festival on Division Street between Ashland and Leavitt, June 1-3
The sixth annual street fest kicks off summer festival season this weekend. For the first time, Do Division includes Friday. The bands, food, activities and shopping will surely be aplenty. Go to www.do-divisionstreetfest.com for more.
2. Chicago Underground Film Festival at the Gene Siskel Art Center, May 31- June 7
Come to this fest for all the otherwise un-seeable films you could never catch playing anywhere else. Think indie shorts and experimental documentaries. Go to www.cuff.org for more.
3. Lincoln Square Mayfest at Lincoln and Leland Ave., May 31-June 3
This German-themed fest in Lincoln Square spans four days for food, music and entertainment. If you’re feeling gutsy, join in on the polka. Go to www.mayfestchicago.com for more.
4. Jason Moran at Symphony Center, June 1
This jazz pianist and 2012 MacArthur Fellow plays tribute to Fats Waller this weekend. He will play this original style backed by a full, contemporary band. Go to www.cso.org for more.
5. 175 Days to Love Chicago: Chicago Public Schools All-City Music Festival Concert at Symphony Center, June 2
The best, young musical minds of the CPS system come together for a concert. This 49th annual concert will showcase many musical styles played by local students. Go to www.cso.org for more.
6. “This Will Have Been: Art, Love & Politics in the 1980's” at the Museum of Contemporary Art, June 1-June 2
This weekend holds the last two days to catch this exhibit. The display showcases more than 150 works documenting the complexity and diversity of the decade. Go to www.mcachicago.org for more.
7. The Interview Show at the Hideout, June 1
This variety show is back for the first time in months. This month’s show features a member of DJ duo the Hood Internet, the owner of DMK Burger Bar, a playwright, musician and more. Go to www.wbez.org for more.