Demons face familiar in Columbia
DePaul softball coach Eugene Lenti is confident about his team's chances against Illinois in the upcoming NCAA tournament, and he is certainly not afraid to express it."We don't care what other people think. They're not experts," said Lenti when told of an ESPNU prediction describing the Fighting Illini as a potential bracket buster. "They did not even win the Big Ten, and we beat more ranked teams than they did."
For the fourth consecutive season, the Blue Demons are one of the top 64 softball programs in the country, and they will have an opportunity to achieve a goal the team has not done since 2007 - make it to the College World Series.
The road begins with the Fighting Illini, and despite beating them earlier in the year, most of the odds makers are betting against DePaul making it two in a row.
Still, being the underdog hasn't affected the team; in fact, it is a role they know all too well.
"It happens all the time," shortstop Shea Warren said. "We've played No. 1 Washington, No. 4 Michigan, and No. 10 Arizona State, so we are used to it."
They insist that Illinois cannot throw anything at them that they haven't seen already.
"There is no added pressure. We know how they play," senior Anne Demas said.
Being on the road should not be a problem either because most of the Blue Demons' games have been away from Cacciatore Stadium. Counting both the regular season and conference tournament, 72 percent of the team's games have been away from Lincoln Park.
The players believe this will give them an advantage.
"We thrive on the road," Heteniak said. "We've played so many that there is less pressure."
They have won 24 out of 40 contests.
Regardless of the outcome, the four seniors insist on making the most of their last opportunity.
"We want to make it memorable," Heteniak said. "We got so much talent on this team.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Fragmented Ferguson, Missouri in the name of Michael Brown
- Steppenwolf Theatre's
- Interview: Brenton Twaites and Odeya Rush of 'The Giver'
- AP: Ferguson police got surplus military equipment
- AP: Police won't release name of officer who shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.
- Robin Williams: A retrospective
- More than just a revival: A review of the Goodman Theatre's "Brigadoon"
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques
- Former Smoker: You Can Quit