DePaul to host 5th annual LGBTQA month
The Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Allies (LGBTQA) Student Services is gearing up to present its annual month-long festival this May at DePaul University, entitled "Making Futures: Relationships, Health, Justice and Leadership."
The Annual LGBTQA Month offers all participants the opportunity to unite despite differences in sexual attraction/orientation/identity, gender expression/identity, ethnicity, race, age and socioeconomic status. Students, faculty and staff can celebrate the month with events, activities, films, workshops and discussions held all over the university's Loop and Lincoln Park campuses.
According to the Office of LGBTQA Student Services' website, it exists to "promote, foster, and support a campus environment that is inclusive and supportive of student diversity, specifically as this relates to sexual orientation/attraction/identity and gender expression/identity."
They do this by "providing a range of services, programs, and events that reflect the needs and interests of LGBTQA students at DePaul," according to the site. It also explains that, "instead of focusing exclusively on the struggles and challenges faced by LGBTQA individuals, we give equal attention and effort to learning about and supporting their unique and shared successes."
"The Annual LGBTQA Month is ... the key program of the office, bringing together students, staff and faculty of DePaul," said Rodrigo SebastiÃ¡n Torres, the coordinator for the Office of LGBTQA Student Services at DePaul.
This year's keynote speakers include, Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality and Gary W. Harper, professor in the department of psychology at DePaul University and director of DePaul's Master of Public Health Program.
When asked why May was the chosen month to host the festival, SebastiÃ¡n Torres said, "Students used to call it 'Gay May.' They said they wanted something in the spring."
All events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact the Office of LGBTQA Student Services at 773.325.7294 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Do trendy Facebook challenges weaken “awareness”?
- No More Discrimination Against the Press in Ferguson
- Sad boys, fleece jackets and Tumblr: A commentary on Yung Lean
- Fragmented Ferguson, Missouri in the name of Michael Brown
- Steppenwolf Theatre's "First Look" in review
- Interview: Brenton Twaites and Odeya Rush of 'The Giver'
- AP: Ferguson police got surplus military equipment
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools