Stage collapses at Pukklepop during Smith Westerns set
The toll has come to five dead and 75 injured in yesterday's horrific stage collapse at Pukkelpop Festival in Belgium, which occurred during a set by Chicago band Smith Westerns.
Shortly after the band began to play, a heavy storm hit, with the band members narrowly escaping harm. Moments after the incident, Smith Westerns member Cullen Omori tweeted, "Stage collapsed max almost got crushed by the threes. I hope pukkelpop has insurance bc all our s**t is broke."
Guitarist Max Kakacek is a former DePaul student.
Omori followed up with, "Apologize to anyone who mistook tweet. Wrote directly after running off stage. Just found out the extent of damage. All of [our prayers] go out"
Later in the day, he said in a statement that the band had finished its first song when the stage began shaking. They assumed it was "a storm passing through. We were about to play the next one when our tour manager yelled at me to run off the stage. Right then (a metal bar that holds up the tent) collapsed 1 foot in front of" Kakacek.
This morning, festival officials declared that the remainder of the festival is to be cancelled and concertgoers remaining on the grounds would be evacuated. Artists that were scheduled to perform in the coming days included Crystal Castles, Lykke Li, Eminem, The Antlers, Cults and Odd Future, among many others.
In a statement on the Pukkelpop website, organizers wrote, "Pukkelpop is in deep mourning. We truly sympathise with the families and friends of the victims. Words are not enough. We have struggled with the decision to continue the festival. Therefore we have decided to cancel Pukkelpop 2011. What has happened is very exceptional and could not have been predicted. We are deeply moved by all the spontaneous support the festival goers and the organisation have received."
Below is video of the stage collapse:
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Fragmented Ferguson, Missouri in the name of Michael Brown
- Steppenwolf Theatre's
- Interview: Brenton Twaites and Odeya Rush of 'The Giver'
- AP: Ferguson police got surplus military equipment
- AP: Police won't release name of officer who shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.
- Robin Williams: A retrospective
- More than just a revival: A review of the Goodman Theatre's "Brigadoon"
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques
- Former Smoker: You Can Quit