Chicago Teachers Union holds rally, march
The Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) held a rally at the Auditorium Theatre tonight and later marched east on Jackson Boulevard to oppose low salaries for the teachers, larger class sizes, and the lengthening of the school day that will be implement this fall.
Thousands of teachers, students, and their parents voiced their displeasure with Mayor Rahm Emanuel's austerity measures that target the public education system in the city. Signs such as "We are not robots," and "We love our kids, they love our teachers," could be seen in the crowd.
"The mayor is not showing any respect for us," said one teacher.
According to Crain's Chicago Business, the CTU held a press conference May 22 in which it voiced some of its demands to the city government.
On the list of things was a 30 percent across-the-board wage increase for teachers, as well as a plan for better allocation of money to attract high-skilled teachers into the city's school system.
The union also opposes longer school days and Emanuel's push for larger class sizes, saying, "an average teacher already puts in around 58 hours a week."
Marching down Jackson, Dolly Taval, history teacher at Edward's Elementary School, said she came down tonight to show support for other public school teachers, students, and their families.
"We're hoping that maybe Mr. Rahm Emanuel will get the picture and that he has to support our schools," she said. "It's important that the government gives the teachers the respect that they deserve."
Her husband Darren Beasley, former public school teacher and DePaul alum, said monetary investment in the education systems is a necessity.
"I believe that the administration needs to understand that teachers are the hope for the future," he said. "If we don't invest in our children's education, we might as well as give up on all these theories about the growth of our society. That's plain and simple."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Interview: Lauren Guglielmello of 'Hellish Half-Light'
- DeJaun Marrero transfers away from DePaul men's basketball
- Recap: Wicker Park Fest 2014
- AP: Chicago school board approves $5.8 billion budget
- AP: Illinois man freed after 2 decades in prison
- AP: Chicago mayor holds meeting on city violence
- 'One Flea Spare': An interview with David Samba, Megan Turner and Evan Williams
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?