Council of the Whole to meet over tenure process
Faculty Council met on Wednesday, June 1, where they determined that a Council of the Whole will take place next Fall.
The calling for the Council of the Whole was triggered after a petition of 61 signatures from full-time faculty was presented to Faculty Council, requiring the Faculty Council to hold such a meeting. The petition needed a minimum of 50 signatures.
The petition called the Council of the Whole to "discuss the unresponsiveness of the administration to faculty concerns, including but not limited to those related to the tenure and promotion process, a lack of shared governance in key decisions impacting faculty, and faculty morale and campus climate."
The meeting will be open to faculty members only, and a quorum of 248 must show up for the council to occur, based on a total faculty of almost 1,000 members. If there is a quorum present, faculty will discuss issues and set forth motions for consideration of the entire faculty. After a discussion over whether students and the press would be allowed to attend Council of the Whole, the Faculty Council decided that the meeting would only be open to faculty members.
All "decisions of the Council of the Whole shall be made by a majority of the members present, subject to ratification by the vote of the majority of the full-time faculty members in a special mail ballot," according to the Faculty Handbook.
Faculty, students, and alumni assembled in a student-run protest over DePaul's tenure process on Thursday, May 26.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- August 2014 album round-up
- Arcade Brewery takes a crowdsourced approach to craft beer
- Raymond Doby opts out of attending DePaul
- Chicago celebrates Jackie Robinson West with Millenium Park parade
- President Fr. Holtschneider accepts the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Sandi Marcius of DePaul men's basketball signs to play overseas in native...
- Cleveland Melvin signs contract to play basketball in Hungary
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care