Council of the Whole to meet over tenure process
Faculty Council met on Wednesday, June 1, where they determined that a Council of the Whole will take place next Fall.
The calling for the Council of the Whole was triggered after a petition of 61 signatures from full-time faculty was presented to Faculty Council, requiring the Faculty Council to hold such a meeting. The petition needed a minimum of 50 signatures.
The petition called the Council of the Whole to "discuss the unresponsiveness of the administration to faculty concerns, including but not limited to those related to the tenure and promotion process, a lack of shared governance in key decisions impacting faculty, and faculty morale and campus climate."
The meeting will be open to faculty members only, and a quorum of 248 must show up for the council to occur, based on a total faculty of almost 1,000 members. If there is a quorum present, faculty will discuss issues and set forth motions for consideration of the entire faculty. After a discussion over whether students and the press would be allowed to attend Council of the Whole, the Faculty Council decided that the meeting would only be open to faculty members.
All "decisions of the Council of the Whole shall be made by a majority of the members present, subject to ratification by the vote of the majority of the full-time faculty members in a special mail ballot," according to the Faculty Handbook.
Faculty, students, and alumni assembled in a student-run protest over DePaul's tenure process on Thursday, May 26.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Fragmented Ferguson, Missouri in the name of Michael Brown
- Steppenwolf Theatre's
- Interview: Brenton Twaites and Odeya Rush of 'The Giver'
- AP: Ferguson police got surplus military equipment
- AP: Police won't release name of officer who shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.
- Robin Williams: A retrospective
- More than just a revival: A review of the Goodman Theatre's "Brigadoon"
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques