Food deserted: Dominick's closure gives DePaul students fewer grocery options
Located right next to the Fullerton 'L' stop, the Dominick's on the Lincoln Park campus is the go-to grocery store for many DePaul students. Due to weak profits, Dominick's is pulling out of the Chicagoland market by 2014, Safeway Inc. announced Thursday Oct. 10.
"Safeway has decided to exit the Chicago market and focus its efforts in other operating areas where business is stronger," the company said in a statement.
Dominick's is a tenant in the DePaul-owned building at 959 W. Fullerton Ave. The building, Centennial Hall, is a residence hall and home to several offices. The university has not received any information from Dominick's regarding what will happen to the space, DePaul spokesperson Carol Hughes said.
Joe Boateng, a customer service manager at the Fullerton location, said about 100 people work in that specific store and that they are not yet sure when the store is going to close. He said they should know a plan by early 2014 and that "the information you could find online is what we know."
DePaul junior India Mayer said she was very upset that Dominick's is closing.
"For students at DePaul, such as myself, Dominick's is a staple that provides the perfect 'quick pit stop' grocery experience," Mayer said. "I shop at Dominick's for the convenience and I will certainly miss the accessibility."
For students who do not have a meal plan or need additional items, Dominick's is the closest grocery store within walking distance of campus. The other closest grocery stores in walking distance from campus are Treasure Island Foods at 2121 N. Clybourn Ave. and Trader Joes at 667 W. Diversey, which are both about a 10 minute walk.
Safeway has sold four of its 72 Chicagoland locations to New Albertsons, Inc., that operates Jewel Osco. No additional information is available on what will happen to the other 68 Chicago Dominick's locations.
"I am incredibly disappointed at the news that Dominick's will be leaving," Mayer said. "I hope that another convenience shop of some sort is place in [the] exiting building,"
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Chicago celebrates Jackie Robinson West with Millenium Park parade
- President Fr. Holtschneider accepts the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Sandi Marcius of DePaul men's basketball signs to play overseas in native...
- Cleveland Melvin signs contract to play basketball in Hungary
- Women’s soccer win season opener against Central Michigan
- Do trendy Facebook challenges weaken “awareness”?
- No More Discrimination Against the Press in Ferguson
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care