'Christmas at DePaul' brings holiday spirit to campus
DePaul celebrated the holiday season by hosting its fifth annual "Christmas at DePaul."
The musical event centered on a retelling of the birth of Christ and was held at St. Vincent de Paul Parish earlier this month.
A wide array of musicians and singers from the DePaul and Chicago communities participated, including the DePaul Community Chorus, DePaul music students and the Chicago Children's Choir.
Josephine Lee, president of the Chicago Children's Choir, presided as the conductor, which she has done every year since the event's first year of production.
"Things are tweaked every year, but the story is the same," Associate Vice President and Assistant University Secretary Karen Cullen said. Cullen served on the steering committee for "Christmas at DePaul."
Little was changed from years past, including the successful turnout. Cullen said attendance is roughly the same every year.
"We filled every possible space, but we still had a long waiting list of people to get in," she said.
In the spirit of Christmas, the tickets were free to the public, although a donation to the St. Vincent de Paul Parish Food Pantry was required. President of DePaul University Rev. Dennis Holtschneider, C.M., emphasized the importance of the donations in a letter to attendees.
"‘Christmas at DePaul' is an opportunity to fulfill God's promise on that holy night of peace and goodwill to all by ministering to the human needs of our community," he wrote.
Cullen said the high attendance each year is a testament to the talent of the performers. The members of the choruses came from different parts of Chicago and have very different musical backgrounds, which created a unique group of performers.
One of the only groups made up of solely DePaul students was the DePaul Orchestra, an audience favorite. The orchestra participates in the event every year.
"The DePaul Orchestra group is fantastic," Cullen said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Chicago celebrates Jackie Robinson West with Millenium Park parade
- President Fr. Holtschneider accepts the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Sandi Marcius of DePaul men's basketball signs to play overseas in native...
- Cleveland Melvin signs contract to play basketball in Hungary
- Women’s soccer win season opener against Central Michigan
- Do trendy Facebook challenges weaken “awareness”?
- No More Discrimination Against the Press in Ferguson
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care