Farmers markets signal return of summer in Chicago
This weekend, the livelihood of Farmers Markets starts to return to the streets of Chicago for the summer.
Saturday, May 12 will mark the return of the Saturday morning markets on Division Street between Clark and State in the Gold Cost and in the Lincoln Park High School parking lot on Armitage and Orchard.
The farmers markets offer a variety of fresh and seasonal produce as well as flowers, other plants, cheeses and other goods. The offered goods vary by market and by date. Markets boast hard-to-find produce items alongside standard items, all with unparalleled freshness.
The farmers markets held during the summer, both City of Chicago-sponsored and independently run, support local farmers from around the Chicago area. Market shoppers have the pleasure and assurance of knowing where everything they are buying is grown and processed.
As buying local has become an increasing trend, farmers markets give city-dwellers the ability to buy fresh produce that hasn't been processed by a supermarket chain, giving business to local and independent farmers.
Though May is just the beginning of the summer produce season, in-season produce for this month includes asparagus, lettuce, peas, radishes, spinach and sprouts.
With more than 40 different locations around the city, there are multiple markets available to Chicagoans on any day of the week during the summer, in almost any neighborhood.
All markets from last season are returning, with the addition of five new markets around Chicago. New locations include Columbus Park, La Folette Park, Austin Town Center, Mount Ebenezer Baptist Church and Healing Temple Church. These, along with most of the markets, open in June.
Visit explorechicago.org to learn more information about the markets, including opening dates, locations, in-season produce and recipe suggestions based on farmers market goods.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- Fragmented Ferguson, Missouri in the name of Michael Brown
- Steppenwolf Theatre's
- Interview: Brenton Twaites and Odeya Rush of 'The Giver'
- AP: Ferguson police got surplus military equipment
- AP: Police won't release name of officer who shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.
- Robin Williams: A retrospective
- More than just a revival: A review of the Goodman Theatre's "Brigadoon"
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall