Farmers markets signal return of summer in Chicago
This weekend, the livelihood of Farmers Markets starts to return to the streets of Chicago for the summer.
Saturday, May 12 will mark the return of the Saturday morning markets on Division Street between Clark and State in the Gold Cost and in the Lincoln Park High School parking lot on Armitage and Orchard.
The farmers markets offer a variety of fresh and seasonal produce as well as flowers, other plants, cheeses and other goods. The offered goods vary by market and by date. Markets boast hard-to-find produce items alongside standard items, all with unparalleled freshness.
The farmers markets held during the summer, both City of Chicago-sponsored and independently run, support local farmers from around the Chicago area. Market shoppers have the pleasure and assurance of knowing where everything they are buying is grown and processed.
As buying local has become an increasing trend, farmers markets give city-dwellers the ability to buy fresh produce that hasn't been processed by a supermarket chain, giving business to local and independent farmers.
Though May is just the beginning of the summer produce season, in-season produce for this month includes asparagus, lettuce, peas, radishes, spinach and sprouts.
With more than 40 different locations around the city, there are multiple markets available to Chicagoans on any day of the week during the summer, in almost any neighborhood.
All markets from last season are returning, with the addition of five new markets around Chicago. New locations include Columbus Park, La Folette Park, Austin Town Center, Mount Ebenezer Baptist Church and Healing Temple Church. These, along with most of the markets, open in June.
Visit explorechicago.org to learn more information about the markets, including opening dates, locations, in-season produce and recipe suggestions based on farmers market goods.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- AP: Chicago school board approves $5.8 billion budget
- AP: Illinois man freed after 2 decades in prison
- AP: Chicago mayor holds meeting on city violence
- 'One Flea Spare': An interview with David Samba, Megan Turner and Evan Williams
- Pitchfork Music Festival: Sunday recap
- Pitchfork Music Festival: Saturday recap
- Pitchfork Music Festival: Friday recap
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit