United Center offers free rent for DePaul men's basketball games
The United Center has reportedly offered DePaul University 10 years of free rent for all men's basketball games, according to a report by Crain's Chicago Business.
As part of the deal, United Center ownership would "redesign its basketball floor to allow the two 'end zones' to be removable. For DePaul games, they would be replaced with 'DePaul,' 'Big East' or whatever is desired." DePaul's Blue Demons logo would replace the Chicago Bulls logo at center court.
DePaul would also be provided a host of other perks, including access to owner and marketing suites, use of Bulls locker rooms, the installation of a Blue Demons store, and permission to hang its own championship banners from the rafters, according to Greg Hinz's Crain's report.
DePaul's athletic department said in a statement they are "continuing to explore proposals and no decision has been made at this time."
As The DePaulia reported last month, DePaul has been in close discussions with the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority to build a new arena closer to the Lincoln Park campus, estimated to cost around $200-250 million. The proposed arena would be built in the South Loop area, located west of McCormick Place parking and a new CTA Green Line station, a site which has been proposed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
DePaul's Vision 2018 plan has confirmed its desire to bring its men's basketball team back to Chicago, closer than current home Allstate Arena in the Village of Rosemont. The Blue Demons contract with Allstate Arena runs through 2015.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More depauliaonline News Articles
Recent depauliaonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DEPAULIAONLINE NEWS
- President Fr. Holtschneider accepts the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Sandi Marcius of DePaul men's basketball signs to play overseas in native...
- Cleveland Melvin signs contract to play basketball in Hungary
- Women’s soccer win season opener against Central Michigan
- Do trendy Facebook challenges weaken “awareness”?
- No More Discrimination Against the Press in Ferguson
- Sad boys, fleece jackets and Tumblr: A commentary on Yung Lean
RECENT DEPAULIAONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care