Published: Friday, May 25, 2012
Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012 16:08
Learning how to cook is part of the college experience; we all get sick of the Student Center food and Easy Mac. So with summer approaching why not learn how to grill? Who doesn’t enjoy a barbeque? Friends, food and warm weather? Yes, please.
Junior Alyssa Rogers said, “I had all my sisters in my sorority over for a barbeque and swimming. We made cheeseburgers, BOCA burgers and brats. It was really easy and a lot of fun!”
Here are some fun and simple grilling recipes by AllRecipes.com:
Beer lime grilled chicken
-1 lime, juiced
-1 (12 fluid ounce) can light colored beer
-1 teaspoon honey
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
-Salt and pepper
-4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1. In a bowl, mix the lime juice, beer, honey, garlic, cilantro, and salt and pepper until the honey dissolves. Pour the mixture over the chicken, cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate.
3. Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess; discard remaining marinade. Grill chicken until tender and juices run clear, about 7 minutes per side.
-1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
-1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
-1 small onion, chopped
-1 tablespoon ketchup
-1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon pepper
-1 pound ground beef
-6 slices bacon
-6 hamburger buns, split
1. Preheat a grill for high heat.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, onion, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble in the ground beef, and mix together by hand. Form into 6 patties, and wrap a slice of bacon around each one. Secure bacon with toothpicks.
3. Place patties on the grill, and cook for 5 minutes per side, or until well done. Remove toothpicks before serving on hamburger buns.
Grilled tofu skewers
-1 (8 ounce) container extra firm tofu, drained and sliced into large chunks
-1 zucchini, cut into large chunks
-1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
-10 large mushrooms
-2 tablespoons sriracha chili garlic sauce
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-2 tablespoons sesame oil
-1/4 cup diced onion
-1 jalapeno pepper, diced
-ground black pepper to taste
1. Place tofu, zucchini, red bell pepper, and mushrooms in a bowl. Mix sriracha sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, onion, jalapeno, and pepper in a small bowl, and pour over tofu and vegetables. Toss lightly to coat. Cover, and allow to marinate at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
3. Thread tofu and vegetables on to skewers. Grill each skewer 10 minutes, or to desired doneness. Use any remaining marinade as a dipping sauce.